The 17th edition of GEMAB started on July 23 and ended on August 1. On this occasion, activities, workshops, exhibitions, games and demonstrations are offered to the public.
– Museum of aerial photography
– Pilâtre de Rozier aeromuseum and its virtual reality space: The base in the American era; Ballooning through the ages; Temporary exhibition Iemza; Uncle Jean’s talks (auditorium); Film screenings
– Land sports: biathlon, athletics, climbing, handball
– The Pavilion of the future: the ideal place to learn more about the technologies of the future …
– The Lycée Jean Zay and the Navy
– Visit repair and maintenance workshops: helicopter, Ulm, plane
– Air workshops: weather and storms; air quality; in the belly of a balloon; manufacture of paper hot air balloons; coloring; water rockets; astronomy; aerospace; aeronautics
– The Aerophoto
– Pilots parade (every evening)
– Mini-hot air balloon demonstration
– Glider and Ulm flight simulators
– Aircraft simulator at Ulm
50 events throughout the day at Ballonville Public 2021 (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.; Wednesday: 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday: 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.).
– Mass flight of hot air balloons morning and evening
– First flight in ULM, helicopter, plane, Glider, Gyroplane, Flexible sails. Hot air ballooning from 6.15 a.m. and 6.30 p.m. (paying and by reservation)
– Conferences, workshops, exhibitions
– The Sports Village,
– Grand Est Tourism Area (Alsace / Champagne / Ardenne / Lorraine / Massif des Vosges)
– Air Workshop
– Exhibitors’ village: Local producers, artisans and traders
– Media stands
– Every evening, a themed evening from 9:30 p.m.
The car parks are open from 5 a.m. to midnight. Parking is prohibited at night.
What happens if a flight is canceled?
The inauguration day began with a speech in the presence of elected officials when welcoming the guests. A mass flight then took place. The participants were able to discover a magnificent view of the sky, from the gondola.
Unfortunately, a too strong wind prevented the second mass flight on Saturday July 24th. Instead, the spectators attended the “Chant des Brûleurs” from 8 p.m. During this show, all pilots align the nacelles, without the envelopes, on the tarmac and make their burners sing to the rhythm of the music. It is “Allumez le Feu” by Johnny Hallyday which opened the ball. “We will rock you” by “Queen” was also part of the soundtrack.
The flights of the following days will take place depending on the weather. In the event of showers, thunderstorms or wind, they will be canceled or postponed.
The Main Line
On Sunday July 25, the organizers made an appointment with the public and participants for “La Grande Ligne”. This event, the most anticipated of GEMAB, started at 6 am. This flight, unique in the world, brings together all those who dream of taking part in it. This moment is unforgettable for the pilots, coming from all over the world. It is an obligatory and unforgettable passage for them.
In 2005, during a morning flight, when it had rained the day before, the pilots did not want to wet their envelopes. They were then asked to inflate on the runway by lining up the hot air balloons next to each other. This was the birth of the Great Line. Since then, no driver would like to leave the event without having participated in it.
Chamblay aerodrome is ideal for this kind of line take-off. It is large enough to allow balloons to be space out and take off safely. It includes a main runway of 2,940 meters, a ULM runway of 750 meters and finally a taxiway of 2,500 meters.
At the start of “La Grande Ligne”, large fans blow on the ground while the burners blaze and the envelopes rise up one after the other. Hundreds of hot air balloons soar into the sky in a magnificent ballet in less than an hour.